Winter 24: A Month in Texas

I Grew My Own Sunflowers!

Get Inspired!

The summer of 2020 was tough for all of us. One person that made it a little better for a lot of people was Johnny Fish.  I had the opportunity to visit the sunflower field in Big Lake last year.  We not only enjoyed the fun, safe atmosphere, I was inspired to take photos, something I had not felt in while.  See my 2020 photos here.

While in Texas this past winter, we visited a working seed farm, and I purchased seeds for tallest sunflowers I could find that would grow in Minnesota.  Now I would call myself a proficient flower gardener - pretty adept with perennials.  But I had never grown flowers from seed.  Even with the smallest package I could buy, I had plenty to give away - to my dad and several neighbors.

I made an area to grow them on the side of our lake house - nothing special other than putting down some compost.  I planted in the ground around the end of April - it was a warm spring.  So excited when they started to pop up out of the ground!

These are now so tall that we need a ladder or a drone to view the heads - crazy.  Once the head is fuller, I think they will droop down a bit.  How exciting!    The neighbor's sunflowers (from the same seeds) have much larger leaves, but aren't quite as tall.










Have you been to one of the Fish or other Sunflower fields?
 What inspires you?  Leave your comments below!  Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us.

Comments